Monday, February 25, 2008

The #1 Question These Days...

It seems like shortly after Bryce turned six months old people started coming out of the woodwork asking,"How long do you plan on nursing?" While I'm sure the majority of those people are just being curious, I can't help but feel a tad defensive on behalf of my baby. I'd like to come back with a smarty questions like, "How long do you plan on eating?"

The truth is-- I don't know the answer to the question. But I do know that I will continue to nurse Bryce for as long as he wants to. Sure, there may come a time when I feel the need to wean him, but I don't see that happening any time soon. He is addicted, which is awesome. Aside from a little bumpy start, he has done his job perfectly. And I have tried to do my job well too, by providing an abundance of milk, millions of hugs and kisses, lots of lullabies, much compassion and a willing heart.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding through the first 12 months and beyond, and UNICEF has long encouraged nursing into 2 and 3 years of age. Breastfeeding is wonderful for baby and mama. Bryce is thriving, happy and healthy. So I say if it isn't broke, why fix it?

I'm sure I'll have much to say on this subject as time goes on. For now, our answer to the million dollar question is... "As long as he wants!"

No comments: