Monday, April 28, 2008

Green can be easy

While recently reading one of my favorite blogs, Crunchy Domestic Goddess, I read her green tip of week encouraging readers to shut down their computers at night. Makes sense, right? Just like humans, machines need breaks too. According to Amy at Crunchy Domestic Goddess, "By turning off your computer instead of leaving it in sleep mode, you can save 40 watt-hours per day. That adds up to 4 cents a day, or $14 per year. This will prevent carbon dioxide emissions from heating up the atmosphere (AKA global warming)."

With an extra $14 I could buy one of the following:
  • Almost a whole jumbo package of P*ampers diapers
  • A few new pairs of panties from Aunt Vicki's
  • A bottle of A*veda shampoo (Can you say Rosemary Mint?!)
  • A ticket admitting one adult into the zoo... plus a couple dollars to go toward an ice cream cone!

Amy also mentioned a blog that has 50 Ways to Help the Planet. This is a great site that has tons of easy-to-adapt-to green living ideas. Check it out!

Of the 50, I currently:

  1. Recycle
  2. Hang dry my clothes... mainly because I'm paranoid that things will shrink.
  3. Wash in cold or warm 90% of the time
  4. Can you say duplex when it comes to printing?
  5. Use cruise control whenever possible
  6. Lump as many errands into one trip as possible... also keeping in mind that this can be rather difficult with a 10-month-old in tow
  7. Keep the fireplace damper closed (Be sure to open it when in use!)
  8. Donate and buy re-sale items
  9. Use rechargeable batteries

Ways I'd like to make an effort to do for Mother Earth (although, I'm not promising)

  1. Not pre-heat the oven before baking/cooking. Truthfully I've always thought this was a waste of time and resources!
  2. Use cloth diapers-- if I were a stay at home mom I would definitely go the cloth route, but frankly I don't have the time nor the energy to convince my husband and my sitter that it is a great alternative.
  3. Telecommute!!! I'd love love love to do this! And, it would be totally possible with my job... *sigh* perhaps some day. For now I'll have to be patient, put in my time and pray

No comments: