Monday, March 1, 2010

Mad About Mama Milk in the Windy City

Brett, L and I just spent the weekend in Chicago.  We were there for Hustle Up the Hancock (more on that to come)! 

If you've ever traveled with a nursing child you know that it can be just a tad challenging to find a sanitary and private location.  Let me define "private"-- any location where pervs are not conrugating around you and your nursing child.  Personally I don't have a problem nursing anywhere.  I use a blanket as to not offend others, yet hate to use one because I think I miss out on some of the intimate bonding time with my baby. 

That said, I am thankful that I didn't have to nurse L in a bus, train or cab on our trip.  They're just icky places, and the sudden stops and gos would have been rather disruptful.  However our nursing adventures did continue throughout the Windy City--  airports, airplanes, our hotel lobby and room, restaurants, mueseums, The Hustle, and beyond.

I just came across Mommy Poppins' 40 Places to Breastfeed in NYC (very cool site for mamas in the NYC area).  Understanding they simply wanted to create a helpful list of clean, cheery and safe locations to nurse, I do want to remind everyone that in most states it is legal to nurse your baby or toddler anywhere neccessary.  So whether the location has a pink and yellow flower motif on the walls, or a private room for mama and baby, in most states, you have every right to feed your child and anywhere, anytime.

Happy nursing to all mamas from the hustle and bustle of the big city, to the quiet peaceful countryside-- enjoy!

*Note:  In the original post there was a typo.  The blog I referred to above is Mommy Poppins, not Mary Poppins.  Such a clever play on words, I was fooled!   I am unlike Disney's Mary Poppins who is "practically perfect in every way."  Thanks for the correction!  

2 comments:

Mommy Poppins said...

king to our post. You go tthe name of the blog wrong, though. It's MOMMY Poppins, not Mary Popppin. don't think Disney would be too happy if it were.

Mama Kate said...

Thanks for the correction! It has been noted in the post. I have a ways to go before I am "practically perfect in every way," like Mary Poppins.